Please refer to the Straits Times article today, by Carolyn Khew, whom I spoke to.
MP Intan Azura Mokhtar says she does not know Yang Yin personally
Updated today, 26 Sept 2014, at 08:07 AM
Member of Parliament Intan Azura Mokhtar said yesterday that she did write a letter of appeal regarding Mr Yang Yin’s application for permanent residency (PR) here. But she did so only at the behest of Madam Chung Khin Chun.
Questions had been raised over the former China tour guide’s role in the Jalan Kayu Neighbourhood Committee, after pictures of him at various grassroots activities surfaced online. The People’s Association confirmed that he had been a member of the neighbourhood committee since July 5 last year but resigned on Sept 8 this year.
Dr Intan, who is an MP in Ang Mo Kio GRC and adviser to the committee, said she did not know Mr Yang personally. She recalls meeting him only when he was participating in a cooking activity.
She does remember the time Madam Chung approached her.
“She first came to see me and sought my help in May 2011… for her grandson,” said Dr Intan. “This is what she told me and I referred Madam Chung’s request to the authorities.” She said she responded only because Madam Chung was “a resident of my constituency and a Singaporean”.
“If Mr Yang had come to me, I wouldn’t be able to help him because he’s not a Singaporean,” she said. “What I would have told him is that you probably can apply for PR to the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority directly.”
Dr Intan also said she later received a piece of “feedback” on Mr Yang. She did not reveal the nature of the feedback as there are ongoing court proceedings concerning Mr Yang, but said it was forwarded to the authorities the same day.
Dr Intan also explained why she had initially referred to Mr Yang as a grassroots “leader”, when asked about him two weeks ago. She said she considers all grassroots volunteers “grassroots leaders”, reiterating that Mr Yang “did not hold a key position… he was just an ordinary member”.
In recent days, Dr Intan’s Facebook page has been inundated with questions about Mr Yang. Some claimed that she had gone into “Internet hiding” by not addressing the questions and making her Facebook page private.
When asked if comments about Mr Yang had been deleted from her Facebook page, she said the staff administering the site may have done so and she does not know what “Internet hiding” is.
Dr Intan also made it clear that only citizens and PRs can join the grassroots, although others can help out as ad-hoc volunteers. When asked if taking part in these ad-hoc activities can help in an application for permanent residency, she said that was up to the immigration authorities.
When contacted last night, Madam Chung said she remembered seeing Dr Intan “a few years ago”, but could not recall what was discussed.
In response to queries from The Straits Times, the ICA made it clear that volunteering in grassroots organisations is not part of its criteria when assessing applications for PR and citizenship.
It said: “Applications for Singapore Permanent Residence or Singapore Citizenship (SC) are evaluated on a range of factors including family ties, qualifications, income and length of stay in Singapore. While volunteering in community service such as with PA grassroots organisations had been suggested as a possible criterion, it has not been part of ICA’s criteria when assessing SC or SPR applications. Each application will be assessed on its own merits.”
The ICA also added: “Individuals who provide false information in their applications for immigration facilities will be dealt with firmly under the law. In addition, they will have their immigration facilities cancelled or revoked.”
CAROLYN KHEW, TOH YONG CHUAN
- Stay strong Dr amidst all these and continue doing good for the country and community.
- Trust in your judgement and integrity Dr Intan Mokthar, do not take too personally of all the negative comments on you, when you are up there, this stuff bounce to happen. My say, no one can judge in a short time the real motive of being a grassroots leader as volunteers, only time will tell. If he want to fake it, what can we do? He is smart cunning to buy yours and other residents heart but like Malay proverbs, “Sepandai- pandai tupai melompat, akhirnya jatuh ke tanah juga”, he will get his deserve judgement from the court, karma for his ill intention. As volunteers, let’s do our best to serve the community. Thank you Dr. Intan for all your love and passion in serving our community. God bless you with Good Health and hope to see you to become Minister soon because you are deserve it.
- Persevere on, continue to do what is right
- They are holding you responsible to further inflame hatred for the PAP. That’s what they do online. Most use their Avatars, too much of a coward to show their true identity, to spew caustic and indefensible retorts. Keep faith that the truth will prevail. We believe in you.
- Why MP Intan need to defend a Grassroot?
A Grassroot doesn’t link to any Party but only to serve the residents.
What Grassroot do outside is beyond the control of a MP.
Like MP Low Thia Khiang says…
[ I am a Member of Parliament, not a private investigator! Mr He said that I should take responsibility for the matters regarding Mr Yaw. May I know how he thinks I should take responsibility?]
So will it b fair for MP Intan?Since it is now an Investigation by SPF,let the Police do their job
- Yang Yin’s actions to cheat the elderly widow pertains to his private life. How is MP Intan going to know that this Yang Yin is a cheat if he did not give any hint of such behaviour in his activities at the grassroots organisation?
You are holding the MP responsible for Yang Yin’s behaviour in his private life? Even LTK said he knew nothing of his protege of 10 years, Yaw Shin Leong’s private life. And didn’t LTK present Yaw Shin Leong to the residents of Hougang as the BEST during the 2011 GE. And mind you, YSL worked closely with LTK in the CEC!
Why the double standard? Quizzed LTK at that time or not?
- The people harassing Intan here are demented. The internet really brings out the worst of humankind.
- Internet hiding? More like internet bullying. Should find some of those awful ones and seek them out to expose them. Especially the trolls.
- LTK did said YSL was the best choice for Hougang SMC in GE 2011. But his best candidate betrayed the ppl of Hougang. He just disappeared after he committed adultery. LTK kept quiet and only came out to disclose the affair later as he had no other choice. Who is that woman YSL having an affair with? Till today no one knows. Am sure LTK knew but why no disclosure of this woman. So base on their logic and arguments LTK is answerable and why didn’t the oppies ask LTK to resign at that time? And now they are pressing Dr Intan and even PM Lee to resign. Is it logical? Dr Intan has not done anything wrong. She does not need to answer these oppies moron. Just let the case to the court. Whether Yang Yin has done wrong or the relatives are trying to get the money we will know during the court proceeding. If Yang Yin commits an offence then he deserves the punishment. So Dr Intan continue your good work at Jln Kayu and AMK GRC.
- The rabid opposition Internet lynch mob are trying to paint a picture that Dr Intan Azura Mokhtar was privy to the fact that Yang Yin was a cheat (and even that is yet to be determined by the courts).
Seriously, have those wankers got their hands on technology from the movie, Minority Report?
I’m sure PAP hasn’t, and the only crime Dr Intan is guilty of is being human.