Singapore’s first National Day celebrations
“On the eve of Singapore’s first National Day, then Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew addressed the nation at a National Day Rally. After reviewing Singapore’s progress over the past year, Lee expressed confidence that the year ahead would become easier, “as the shape of things is becoming clearer to everyone”. In his speech, he outlined the core competencies that Singaporeans had to develop to progress.
The delivery of the National Day Rally Speech and the National Day Message by the prime minister has become the annual occasion when the incumbent prime minister gives an overview of the government’s performance, and highlights the nation’s key challenges and its future directions.
Between 1966 and 1970, the Prime Minister’s National Day Address was held before 9 August. In 1970, the rally was moved to the first or second Sunday after National Day.. ”
Read more about our first National Day Parade at this link -> Singapore’s first National Day celebrations
- Seriously guys, whoever is organising NDP year after year, let’s drive LKY one round and let all Singaporeans say a big thank you to him that he could hear.
- Happy Birthday Singapore!! I am so pleased my children can enjoy and sing along with songs that make us feel home and more importantly, learn of our roots with great respect for MM Lee Kuan Yew and all our pioneers. Thank you for building a nation which we can call home and live in peace and prosperity!
- Dear Mr Lee Kuan Yew, you and our pioneer fathers have built a country which I am proud to call home. We will jealously guard against any attempts to destroy what our forefathers have painstakingly built. Thank you Sir on behalf of my family and every proud Singaporean. Happy National Day. We wish you good health and more good years.
- Frail in body he might be but strong in spirit for Singapore he is. May God bless him and his family people for contributing so much to the country.
- 李光耀先生，明年2015 ～ 新加坡50歲，先和您預約，要与我们不见不散哦！
- We are very blessed to have you as our great leader. An Argentinian congratulated me in a restaurant in Ushaia”Congratulatuons, do you know that you are in a very well run country,”on hearing that I am from Singapore. People around the world know about your achievements on this red dot. Many of us here are aware too. Appreciate with a big thank you.