1 year on, looking back:
“It is about serving the Residents. Serving the people must go beyond speaking for them. It is about compassion, SERVICE is about ACTION, service is about delivering the best future for the people that we care the most.” — Desmond Choo, Apr 2011 rally.
At a April 30, 2011 rally Desmond Choo Pey Ching made the following promise:
- Local Healthcare and Social Assitance for poor, elderly and under-privileged.
- Job Placement Center.
- Foster community spirits through engagement.
- Improve facilities and introduce new amenities.
Despite being unsuccessful in his election bid, Desmond has delivered:
- 1a) New scheme to provide free hearing aids for Hougang elderlyhttp://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=343267929062555&set=a.245735922149090.70599.213440582045291&type=1&theater
- 1b) offers free Teochew porridge to Hougang residents every Sunday morning.http://www.asiaone.com/print/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120326-335849.html
- 1c) Intends to set up mobile TCM clinic or free clinic corner for the elderly residents.http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=132431976826204&set=a.132423140160421.25332.125584034177665&type=1&theater
- 2) Set up Job Hub to help Hougang residents find work.
It aims to match them with jobs they can reach within half an hour, so they save on transport http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=334330046623010&set=a.245735922149090.70599.213440582045291&type=1&theater
- 3) Weekly “Coffee Session”, Resident Party and regular house visits.http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=442676535759473&set=a.281804541846674.87911.280285461998582&type=1&theater
- Temasek Times–
“Despite his busy work schedule, Mr Choo has been visiting Hougang residents almost daily as well as holding his unofficial ‘Meet-the-People’ sessions on Monday evenings at Hougang Community Club.”
Source : Enigna